On Sunday October 30th the Minnesota Vikings visit the Carolina Panthers. Leading the Panthers offense will be Cam Newton and leading the Vikings offense will be Christian Ponder. The battle of these two talented rookies will surely produce an exciting game.
Cam Newton (who I am now referring to as the LeBron James of football) has been the Panthers starter since game 1 of the 2011 season. He has put up very impressive stats so far for a rookie quarterback:
- Week 1: 24-37, 422 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
- Week 2: 28-46, 432 yds, 1 TD, 3 INT
- Week 3: 18-34, 158 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
- Week 4: 27-46, 374 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT
- Week 5: 16-31, 224 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
- Week 6: 21-35, 237 yds, 0 TD, 3 INT
- Week 7: 18-23, 256 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT
However stats do not translate into wins; as the Panthers currently sit at a record of 2 and 5. The Panthers have to be excited about the potential that Cam Newton is showing though. He will definitely give the Vikings all they can handle this Sunday.
Christian Ponder on the other hand did not get his first start until week 6 when he replaced Donovan McNabb. His stats have not been as glamorous as Newton’s but the Vikings are sticking with him to see what he can do for them now and the future.
- Week 6: 9-17, 99 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT
- Week 7: 13-32, 219 yds, 2 TD, 2 INT
The battle with these two first-round picks will be an interesting look at the future stars of the league.